|Botanical Name||Sesamum indicum|
Sesame seeds add a nutty taste and a delicate, almost invisible, crunch to many Asian dishes. They are also the main ingredients in tahini (sesame seed paste) and the wonderful Middle Eastern sweet call halvah. They are available throughout the year. Sesame seeds may be the oldest condiment known to man.They are highly valued for their oil which is exceptionally resistant to rancidity. “Open sesame”—the famous phrase from the Arabian Nights—reflects the distinguishing feature of the sesame seed pod, which bursts open when it reaches maturity.
Around 60-65 countries of the world produce sesame seed. Asian and African countries are the major producers of Sesame. The top five producers account for around 70% of the production. China, India, Sudan, Myanmar, Uganda, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Tanzania, Mexico, Thailand and Egypt, in that order of rank, are the top-twelve producers of this seed.
The global Sesame exports are estimated to be around 5 to 6 lakh tons. India, China, Mexico are the major Sesame exporters, while Japan is the single largest buyer of sesame seeds in the world.
India produces a wide variety of Sesame seeds varying in color from white to red to black, with oil content varying from 40 to 50 %. The white and black Indian Sesame seeds are mainly used for direct consumption by its addition in several foods and for exports. The brown Indian Sesame seeds are mainly used for oil extraction. These have oil content of around 45-50 %. The white Indian Sesame seeds have the desirable nutty taste and are used for making sweets, baked foods and confectionaries. The black Indian Sesame seeds are used for seasoning and for fries. Hulled seeds are also used for snack preparation.
Around 80 % of the sesame seed production in India, happens during the khariff season (June-July to September-October), with the crop starting to arrive from September. The remaining crop is cultivated in the rabi season (December to March), with the crop starting to arrive from March.
General Specifications of Sesame Seeds
|Grades||– Natural / Machine Cleaned- Mechanical Hulled, Aqua Hulled, Chemical Hulled- Auto Sortexed- Sun Dried or Auto Dried|
|Purity||99/1/; 98/2; 95/5; 99.90; 99.95; 99.97; 99.99|
|FFA||1% max or 2% max|
|Total plate count||20,000 cfu/gm max|
|Yeast & Mould||5,000 cfu/gm max|
(*The general specifications mentioned for the product are typical in nature. It can actually differ or can be procured as per customer requirement.)
How to Select and Store
- Sesame seeds are generally available in prepackaged containers as well as bulk bins. Just as with any other food that you can purchase in the bulk section, make sure that the bins containing the sesame seeds are covered and that the store has a good product turnover to ensure maximal freshness.
- Whether purchasing sesame seeds in bulk or in a packaged container, make sure there is no evidence of moisture. Additionally, since they have a high oil content and can become rancid, smell those in bulk bins to ensure that they smell fresh.
- Unhulled sesame seeds can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry, dark place. Once the seeds are hulled, they are more prone to rancidity, so they should then be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds
- Sesame seeds contain sesamin and sesamolin, substances that is believed to prevent high blood pressure and protect the liver against damage.
- Sesame seed is a good source of Vitamin E, that is why it can help strengthen the heart and the nervous system.
- Sesame oil can help remove wrinkles and other skin diseases when applied externally.
- The oil is also used to remove the milk like crust form on the face and head of an infant.
- A large amount of sesame seed can help in increasing weight because it is high in calories.
- Half cup of sesame seeds contains 3 times more calcium than half cup of whole milk.
- It is valuable in removing intestinal worm and removing pus formation in the body.
Packing in new jute bags: 75/50/25/15/10 Kgs
Packing in HDPE/PP bags: 50/25/15/10 Kgs
Packing in multi-ply paper /plastic bags: 25/15/10 Kgs
(*Custom packaging can be provided on customer request or in special conditions.)
We deal in the supply of the superior quality Sesame Seeds.