|Botanical Name:||Anethum Graveolens|
Dill is a herbaceous annual with innately divided leaves. The ripe, light brown seeds emit an aromatic odour. The leaves have pleasant aromatic odour and warm taste. Both seeds and leaves are valued as spice. This plant belongs to Apiaceae or Umbellifeae family. It is an annual plant which dies out after its produce every year. The plant can grow up to 1m in length. The fruits of the plant are very small ranging between 0.5 to 3 mm in length.
It is cultivated as a cold weather crop in many parts of India. It’s related species Sowa is grown in India whose fruits are larger but less fragrant. India and Pakistan are the major dill production areas, Egypt, Fiji, Mexico, Netherland, United States, England, and Hungary are other commercially productive areas, making small contributions to the world production.
General Specifications of Dill Seeds
|Type||MP Origin : Largest Seeds, Prominent golden periphery / Rajasthan|
|Origin||Medium size, light golden periphery / Gujarat Origin : No golden periphery but more oil content|
|Purity||95% to 99%|
|Total ASH||9.25% max|
|Acid insuluble ASH||1.50% max|
|Odour||Pungent and aromatic flavour|
|Salmonella||Absent / 25 gms|
|Extraneous matter||1% max|
|Volatile Oil Content||1% – 3%|
(*The general specifications mentioned for the product are typical in nature. It can actually differ or can be procured as per customer requirement.)
NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER 100 G (3.5 OZ)
|Energy||180 kJ (43 kcal)|
|Vitamin A||7717 (154%) IU|
|Thiamine (B1)||0.1 mg (9%)|
|Niacin (B3)||1.6 mg (11%)|
|Vitamin C||85 mg (102%)|
|Calcium||208 mg (21%)|
|Iron||6.6 mg (51%)|
- Anti-microbial properties: The extracts from dill or sowa were tested for their anti-microbial properties on a wide range from bacteria and fungi. Sowa extracts were able to control the growth of bacteria and fungi to a significant extent.
- Digestive disorders: Eating dill on a regular basis can keep your digestive system healthy. Ayurveda prescribes dill for digestive disorders in children as well as in adults. The essential oil obtained from the seeds can help in reducing hyperacidity, flatulence and indigestion.
- Diarrhoea and dysentery: Taking dill seeds in dysentery and/or diarrhoea could reduce their effects. A teaspoon of dill seeds sautéed in ghee can reduce acute bacillary dysentery and diarrhoea. Dill seeds can also be taken with yogurt or buttermilk.
- Respiratory disorders: Dill or sowa is very effective in controlling respiratory disorders such as cold, influenza, bronchitis and asthma. The seeds can be mixed with honey and taken thrice on a daily basis.
- Increases breast milk quantity: According to Ayurveda, dill is good for increasing breast milk in nourishing mothers. It is also useful in preventing early ovulation, and thereby acts as a good contraceptive.
- Menstrual problems: A clinical trial on dill administration gave positive results in patients with oligomenorrhoea and other related diseases. Dill administration resulted in increased haemoglobin and subsequent reduction in oligomenorrhoea.
25Kg, 40Kg & 50Kg Craft paper New Jute / Gunny Bags with or without inner bag / poly lined. Or for ground spices in Ground Spices in 0.5Kg, 2.5Kg, 5Kg & 10Kg in (PP)/HDPE Bags Or as per customers specification / requirement.
(*Custom packaging can be provided on customer request or in special conditions.)
We deal in the supply of the superior quality Dill Seed.