|Botanical Name||Cinnamomum Zeylanicum|
Cinnamon is the inner bark of a tropical evergreen tree. Cinnamon is harvested as strips of bark rolled one inside another. The pale-brown to tan strips are generally thin, the spongy outer bark having been scraped off. The best varieties are pale and parchment-like in appearance.
Cinnamon is native to Srilanka and India and is found in tropical regions of the world. Srilanka and India are one of the major producers and exporters of whole and powdered form of cinnamon. Cinnamon has strong aroma and they are sweet and have good taste. Due to the popularity of the cinnamon of Ceylon sometimes cinnamon are also called as Ceylonese cinnamon. Cinnamon of commerce is prepared by cutting of branches and scraping of the outer rough layer called bark and it gives heavy oil with characteristics aroma and high content of cinnamic aldehyde.
Cinnamon Nutrition Facts (Amount: 1 cup Total Weight: 125 g)
|Total Carbohydrates||101 g|
|Total Fat||1.5 g|
|Vitamin A||368 IU|
|Vitamin C||4.7 mg|
|Vitamin E||2.9 mg|
|Vitamin K||39 mcg|
Form Available: Bark, Quills, Powder
This can be prepared by roasting whole cinnamon and then crushing it into fine powder. A blender may be used for this purpose as cinnamon is hard to be ground into powder in a mortar and pestle. Cinnamon powder is used for marinades, stews, soups or cakes and pies.
How To Store
- Whole barks of cinnamon will keep their flavour indefinitely.
- Unfortunately it is difficult to grind, so for many recipes the powdered variety will be preferred.
- Like other powdered spices cinnamon loses flavour quickly, so should be purchased in small quantities and kept away from light in airtight containers.
- Cinnamon sticks can be stored for longer durations compared to powdered cinnamon.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
- Helps cure a cold and cough: Known for its antibiotic and body warming properties, cinnamon is a formidable remedy against a cold and cough. It not only helps to relieve the congestion commonly experienced with a cold, it is also great for a sore throat when combined with ginger, tulsi and honey.
- Helps keep diabetes under check: Cinnamon is a highly effective remedy against diabetes, especially type 2 diabetes. The study stated that the spice has the ability to improve one’s glucose levels and lipid levels by activating his/her insulin receptors. It also reduces the total serum glucose, triglycerides and the total cholesterol of a person since it stimulates the enzyme systems that regulate one’s carbohydrate metabolism.
- Can help delay the onset of Alzheimer’s: A study conducted at the Tel Aviv University  found that the extract of cinnamon, when administered on a daily basis to patients with Alzheimer’s improved their longevity and bettered the locomotor defects they experience once afflicted with the disease.
- Helps protect you from cancer: In a study done by the USDA (United States Agricultural Department), it was found that cinnamon extract was a potent weapon against leukaemia and lymphomas. The study found that the extract worked by blocking the path of certain components that were important for the regeneration of the cell, inhabited the further multiplication of cancerous cells, and slowly reduced their spread.
- Relieves arthritic pain: Cinnamon is packed with a compound known as cinnamomum, which has very strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a great home remedy for arthritic pain. Its natural heating mechanism provides added relief to aching joints.
- Helps in digestion: Cinnamon is packed with mineral manganese, fibre, essential oils and calcium. The calcium and fibre combine with bile salts and help in their transport outside the body. The essential oils, help regulate the action of gastric juices on food, improves digestion, assimilation and its anti inflammatory properties helps reduce the inflammation caused due to indigestion, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and ulcers. Moreover the fibre content helps to relieve constipation and diarrhoea.
25Kg, 40Kg & 50Kg Craft paper New Jute / Gunny Bags with or without inner bag / poly lined. Or for ground spices in Ground Spices in 0.5Kg, 2.5Kg, 5Kg & 10Kg in (PP)/HDPE Bags Or as per customers specification / requirement.
(*Custom packaging can be provided on customer request or in special conditions.)
We deal in the supply of the superior quality Cinnamon (Dalchini).